why do people put their finger under their nose before they sneeze?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 crystalflower08

crystalflower08

New to our ranks

• Pending
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

curious.

#2 snufflebunny

snufflebunny

I would write 500 posts...

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

Pressing hard under the nose or on the top lip can sometimes stop an oncoming sneeze. It can muffle the tickling sensation enough to make the nose seem to forget what it's meant to be doing.

#3 zneeze

zneeze

zpoderman

• Full Members
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

But does anyone ever have success with this? (And would anyone else like to see someone else try this to stop a sneeze and fail? :D)

#4 ralala

ralala

Centurion

• Posters
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:44 AM

@ zneeze: Yes!! I love it when that happens. B-P I've seen it once or twice before.

#5 Raining Strawberry

Raining Strawberry

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:53 AM

Being a life-long stifler, I don't know why people would think that the classic finger-undre-nose trick works, if you do it as cartoon characters do, keeping your finger stiff... I mean, maybe it'd work a liiiitle bit?  Seems to me you have to actually press up against the nostrils.

But I personally find it kinda hot, whether it succeeeds or not, so's long as I keep seeing it in cartoons, etc, I'm not complaining.   B-P

#6 Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Doodle bug!

• VIP Members
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

I've never found it worked for me. I don't need to use it anyway, I can stop sneezes with just a thought xD Much less conspicuous B-P I love seeing others do this...but only if they fail :laugh:

#7 Sen Beret

Sen Beret

...and I would write 500 more!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

God, who cares WHY they do it... as long as they KEEP doing it because it never works and is hot as hell. Seriously.

#8 Jessie

Jessie

Centurion

• Posters
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

View PostSen Beret, on Mar 28 2010, 05:02 AM, said:

God, who cares WHY they do it... as long as they KEEP doing it because it never works and is hot as hell. Seriously.

Amen.

#9 myownprivatesfc

myownprivatesfc

Say what I like, like what I say

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

View PostSen Beret, on Mar 28 2010, 06:02 AM, said:

THIS.

#10 ellwren

ellwren

Centurion

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

View PostRaining Strawberry, on Mar 28 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

Being a life-long stifler, I don't know why people would think that the classic finger-undre-nose trick works, if you do it as cartoon characters do, keeping your finger stiff... I mean, maybe it'd work a liiiitle bit?  Seems to me you have to actually press up against the nostrils.

But I personally find it kinda hot, whether it succeeeds or not, so's long as I keep seeing it in cartoons, etc, I'm not complaining.   :D

I can do this. It doesn't always work, but more often than not I can stop a sneeze this way.

It's not stifling, it's making the urge to sneeze go away, before the sneezing starts.
For me, at least, there's no need to cover the nostrils. I press my finger against the septum - the bit between the nostrils - and then press inwards towards my face. I'm pressing against the cartilage of the septum and the bone of the upper jaw (above the teeth.)
I've got to press rather hard for this to work; it doesn't hurt, but it's not very comfortable.

When it works, it makes the urge to sneeze go away, so there's no stifling involved. (Of course, if it doesn't work, the hand is in position to either stifle or cover the nose and mouth.)

#11 Nicole

Nicole

Summit Seeker

• Full Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

View Postellwren, on Mar 28 2010, 12:35 PM, said:

I can do this. It doesn't always work, but more often than not I can stop a sneeze this way.

It's not stifling, it's making the urge to sneeze go away, before the sneezing starts.
For me, at least, there's no need to cover the nostrils. I press my finger against the septum - the bit between the nostrils - and then press inwards towards my face. I'm pressing against the cartilage of the septum and the bone of the upper jaw (above the teeth.)
I've got to press rather hard for this to work; it doesn't hurt, but it's not very comfortable.

When it works, it makes the urge to sneeze go away, so there's no stifling involved. (Of course, if it doesn't work, the hand is in position to either stifle or cover the nose and mouth.)
Yep.  :D  Same here!

#12 krazykat

krazykat

• Members
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

I only tend to do it when I'm trying to prevent inhaling more allergens.... never stops the sneezing but normally means I can limit the extent of it  :D

#13 The Mute Poet

The Mute Poet

That way lies madness...

• Honoured Members
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

I knew a girl who had reasonably bad allergies and was usually somewhat embarassed at sneezing in front of other people (excluding me, since she knew about the fetish) and she used a method somewhat like this. Whenever she felt that initial tickle that told her that a coming sneeze was all-but-inevitable she would always push the tip of her nose up with the inside of her opened palm for as long as it took for the tickle to go away. It used to drive me absolutely crazy because it was so plainly obvious whenever she was only just on the point of sneezing... but I never actually saw this trick fail her once in all the times she used it! It's not quite the same as the classic finger position, but I think the mechanics of it (upwards pressure on the nose that distracts from the itch) is relatively the same.

#14 Guest_sneezeguy1970_*

Guest_sneezeguy1970_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

I think for most people, they know the "finger under the nose" manuever will not work, but for some reason it's just a habit they've formed for some reason - I LOVE it when a woman does it though - very, very hot!!!

#15 Raining Strawberry

Raining Strawberry

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

View Postellwren, on Mar 28 2010, 09:35 AM, said:

Interesting.  Well, ha, I guess I can be wrong.  Learn something new every day.   :angry:

Ohhhh the mysterious and intriguing workings of the nose...