Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spirit

just something i felt like saying somewhere (music)

8 posts in this topic

i'm sorry in advance for any grammatical mistakes. i typed this very quickly to get all my thoughts in there so there might be many errors, please excuse them. some of it might not even make sense.

i feel like most people assume that you only listen to bands like sleeping with sirens, pierce the veil, my chemical romance, black veil brides, etc if you're "emo" or "goth" or depressed or have had problems in the past but i think that's not true at all. yes, many of those people listen to these kinds of music but other people who have had a reasonably good life do too. i listen to the bands i mentioned earlier and i'm not "emo" or depressed. i think some people should stop assuming things and judging others and just let them listen to whatever the fuck they want . no one said anything to me particularly but i feel like people would look at me differently if they found out what i listen to, and i don't want that. you don't have to have anxiety or be suicidal to listen to bands like that. this thought bothers me even if nothing really happened to ME i feel like i shouldn't like those bands because everyone who likes them seems to need support in some way(for the lack of better word; bare with me i'm sorry) and all the fan accounts on instagram and twitter > you can easily tell the owners of those accounts are sad and stuff. i'm glad i don't have any problems, and i'm more than willing to help if anyone needs someone to talk to, but is it weird that i'm listening to this kind of music? if you think so, why? why should it be weird? i get that pierce the veil writes most of their songs about depression and self harm, but i kinda seem to just focus on the tune and the lyrics intrigue me. does it really matter? it feels odd to be listening to them without a "reason" idk, considering nothing MAJORLY bad happened in my life. i'm sorry if i'm confusing you too much. just something i needed to get off mah chest, i don't even know the point. sad2.gifSMILIE_AV_VISA_CITY.GIF i don't ONLY listen to bands like this, though, i like popular songs by solo artists sometimes, and i like one direction too, and for all i know, this might not even be true, and maybe there are other people in the world who aren't having problems that listen to music like that, but it's just this thought in my head and i felt like saying it somewhere

i have a sleeping with sirens shirt but i don't know if i should wear it :/

if i've offended you in any way, i'm truly sorry. i know depression and anxiety isn't something you just throw around and i completely understand that but i felt like in this situation, it is sorta appropriate to use. i know it's serious, and just know that i do care. but this is mainly about music so idek.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say stuff like no one should listen to those bands unless they are emo/goth and/or depressed/suicidal/have anxiety. It's true that if the first thing someone finds out about you is that you listen to this kind of music they will probably assume you are emo but if they know you in the slightest and then find out your taste in music there should be other factors contributing to their image of you and the music thing shouldn't over power everything else they know about you.

And by all means wear the shirt.

Well people shouldn't label you "emo" "Goth" or whatever just because you listen to that music. Don't let them get to ya: )

Edited by DeathNoteOwner

I think the main thing to recognise here is that people with anxiety issues or who are depressed etc. relate to this music on a much deeper level than they do with say, Nicki Minaj. The lyrics have a much deeper meaning to the individuals (generally speaking of course) so this is probably the reason why people who are labelled as "emo" or "goth" listen to it.

Listen to whatever music makes you happy. Like what you like and wear what you want. Unfortunately, we live in a world where prejudice is prevalent, so regardless of what you wear/listen to/do, there will always be people who base strong opinions of you based from these factors. So do what you feel will make you happy and to hell with what other people think.

Is it weird that i'm listening to this kind of music? ... does it really matter? it feels odd to be listening to them without a "reason" idk, considering nothing MAJORLY bad happened in my life.

It's not weird listening to those bands or any kind of music you choose to. Like Puds said, "Listen to whatever music makes you happy." It shouldn't matter to others what music you're listening to and if they're ignorant people that judge you based on the genre of music you listen to, you should distance yourself from them. You don't owe anyone an explanation or justification for why you like something.By the way, My Chemical Romance is one of my favourite bands too. Your memory will carry on~mf_zippy.gif

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

It's ok, just like what you like. You'll definitely realize this as you get older. I'm an almost-27-year old guy who loves listening to music like Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry and I'm perfectly ok with that, because their music rocks!

On 1/13/2015 at 6:59 PM, ilikesneezes2000 said:

It's ok, just like what you like. You'll definitely realize this as you get older. I'm an almost-27-year old guy who loves listening to music like Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry and I'm perfectly ok with that, because their music rocks!

I agree completely!

No one older than high school age gives a shit about what music anyone else likes, I promise.  Kids are still labeling each other "emo" and "goth"??  That was going on in like 2003/2004 when I was in high school.

You don't need to "be" anything to enjoy any certain kind of music.  I'm a bright, bubbly, optimistic person and I LOVE black metal.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0