Nola

Donald Trump

371 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Badoit said:

I was simply stating my opinions. If you feel the need to invalidate them for yourself, go right ahead. 

Now, see, what you were actually doing was stating you have no opinions of your own, no knowledge and no wish to engage. That is not the same as stating opinions, and the fact that you seem to think so is further indication of the lack of need to take your statements seriously.

Its been a while Hi everyone I just wanted to pop in and say I am utterly terrified at Trump being president and to all who say Trump is dangerous Thank you very much. Oh and Badoit No one is trivial the LGBT community is far from trivial.

So, uh, how about that CIA intelligence report? The one that states with high confidence that Russian hackers were responsible for putting out fake news stories and biasing the election towards Trump? ALL BECAUSE PUTIN DIDN'T LIKE WHAT CLINTON HAD TO SAY ABOUT HIM IN 2011?

(Yes, I've read the whole thing.)

So... he isn't racist, but literally the DAY after he told a civil rights icon that he had done *nothing* for others, he doesn't go to the MLK celebration at the new African American History Museum because he's "busy"???  

And **this** is the person who is going to be the unifier?  This is the person who will be President for **all* Americans??  And he (and many of his followers) have *zero* idea where anyone would think that he is racist.  

He might not be, but I'm sorry, it sure as hell doesn't look good when you tell the guy who was literally marching **RIGHT** next to MLK on the March to Selma, and the man whose skull was actually fractured by the police from being beaten- you tell *him* that he's done *nothing*.  I'm not saying don't criticize the man for ANYTHING.  But you are seriously going to throw out the phrase "have done *nothing*"??  Seriously??  And **then** not go to the celebration of a **major** civil rights leader and inspiration the world over, and give ZERO explaination- when you tweet at the drop of a hat on soooo many other things.  

I just cannot.

The man is an orange lizard toddler with no neocortex. The end.

Oddly enough, we DO know he's a racist, because according to the doctrine, if anyone says they're not, I means they are.  This is true! I proved it by frequently telling a to leftie friend of mine that she was a racist.  And of course she couldn't deny it.   And I have seen Trump deny it; so he is one. Cf Knowing Breivik; if you say you didn't, it means you did!

Seriously, I heard an interesting thing the other day from a journalist who has read one of Trump's books entitled "The art of the deal" or similar.  The journalist pointed out that Trump's principle is always to make an outrageous demand, because the other side will then make a counter-offer that is much nearer to Trump's position than it would otherwise have been.  Fine in the business world, but in the foreign affairs area, the technique is likely to start a World War, or possibly worse, a violent uprising by a terrorist group.  Just look at the offence he has already caused in Israel.  Look at WW1 where Austria deliberately sent Serbia an ultimatum they could not possibly agree to.  In the end they did, but by then Austria had already mobilised.

A treat tonight as a programme is to be shown about the history of the Drumpfs and the  man's first firm, Elisabeth Trump and Son.

I am genuinely afraid for the world for all the days that will come after this one now that the orange Q tip is in office. 

If enough of us rush the White House in one great surge, what could possibly be done to prevent it?  Not that I'm advocating for a violent taking-back of our country from the small, orange, undoubtedly clammy hands of bigotry and malice...but, y'know...just putting that notion out there.

2 hours ago, murphy dee said:

If enough of us rush the White House in one great surge, what could possibly be done to prevent it?  Not that I'm advocating for a violent taking-back of our country from the small, orange, undoubtedly clammy hands of bigotry and malice...but, y'know...just putting that notion out there.

I'd join in that.

10 hours ago, Melody said:

the orange Q tip

:lol1: I laughed really hard when I read this. He does kind of look like an orange Q tip now that you mention it.

This is more "something light to read over breakfast" rather than an in-depth analysis but this is a very interesting article comparing claims Trump made to actual statistics:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/us-election-2016/fact-or-fiction-trumps-inauguration-speech-debunked-35385292.html

I'm not sure if any of you saw the 'Meet the Press' segment with Conway and the 'alternative facts' but she basically said that the media shouldn't call the White House press secretary ridiculous and that these briefings don't have to happen which is terrifying. So, are briefings a privilege now? No freedom of the press? Citizens might be in the dark if the media doesn't accept every little thing that comes out of Trump's mouth? It sounds like dictatorship.  

Yeah, that's because it is.

Well a racist potato with the intellectual capacity of a urinal cake is now president of the US. I'm seriously afraid...

Guys. Trump just stopped muslim immigrants from entering the country. This is literally holding traveling citizens and sending them back to Iraq , Iran, etc. He has permanently stopped accepting Syrians into the USA. Syrian refugees. 

Oh, and he still hasn't stopped talking about the size of his inauguration crowd...I can't help but feel he's trying to compensate for the size of something else...maybe his hands? Maybe...nvm....

You can't Blame Trump

He did everything he could to show he wasn't fit to be President :)

4 hours ago, hilsbilly said:

You can't Blame Trump

He did everything he could to show he wasn't fit to be President :)

OK, you can make jokes, but now what are we going to do?

4 hours ago, March Hare said:

OK, you can make jokes, but now what are we going to do?

Well, keep making jokes, for starters; sometimes it's the only way of dealing with a horrendous situation.  

Beyond that, the only answer is a sustained effort:

-Challenging the executive orders by every legal means, which there are plenty of.  They're not supposed to be a substitution for legislation, no matter what the current President thinks (or the prior one, for that matter).  

-Fight for sane Supreme Court nominees.  I'd like to think that one of the reasons the Cabinet appointees sailed through relatively smoothly was because the Democrats are saving their political points for the Court picks.  Schumer, the Senate minority leader, has indicated he intends to fight for a mainstream candidate, and I doubt they have any qualms about drawing the process out. (Scalia's been dead for almost a year, so the Republicans obviously aren't in a hurry).  We can also remind these reps how important this is by...

-Keeping the pressure on Congressmen and Senators through phone calls and petitions.  The Democrats are united against the President, and a number of Republicans aren't thrilled with him either.  As he continues to blunder his way through the Presidency and dissatisfaction with him increases, more and more Republicans will be able to denounce him, either because their principles are reasserting themselves or because their seat is on the line. Which leads to...

-Fighting to elect anti-Trump politicians in the mid-term elections. Though people are generally very supportive of their own local Congressman, it's definitely not unheard of for them to be ousted.  Trump won by very slim majorities in areas that have gone Democratic in the very recent past.  There seems to be a sense of "Let's give him a shot" in a lot of those places, but if he doesn't follow through on campaign promises, there are very real opportunities for Democrats to capitalize on that, and even staunchly Republican politicians may be susceptible to primary challengers.  I admit this is optimistic, as it will require people to not only stay engaged, but also to...

Fucking vote.  I remember hearing that over 200 million people were registered to vote last year, which was some kind of record.  I guess they had better things to do, because turnout was lower than it's been in 20 years.  Shitty Presidential candidates aside, electoral participation tumbles even more in the midterms, and Republicans tend to do better when voter turnout is low.  People need to register early, arrange for absentee ballots if needed, and make goddamn sure to get to the polls on election day to follow through on promises to kick pro-Trump politicians to the curb.  

There's a lot of other things we can do, but I'm tired and depressed.  Despite what you said earlier, Maru, this is not a dictatorship; not yet.  The system is designed to survive a shitty President.  We've done it before (skip to 32:45 at this link for a particular humorous example), and we'll do it again.   

On 1/28/2017 at 9:14 PM, Mwsapphire said:

Guys. Trump just stopped muslim immigrants from entering the country. This is literally holding traveling citizens and sending them back to Iraq , Iran, etc. He has permanently stopped accepting Syrians into the USA. Syrian refugees. 

Oh, and he still hasn't stopped talking about the size of his inauguration crowd...I can't help but feel he's trying to compensate for the size of something else...maybe his hands? Maybe...nvm....

Man, gotta love Miss Information over here!

In the words of the Don: "WRONG!" It's a temporary ban until the vetting process is improved and we can screen for terrorists and weed out dangerous people more effectively. Friggin Canada has better vetting than we do. As they are not American citizens yet, they don't have a right to enter our country as much as we have the right to just enter someone else's country to live. Maybe we don't want to end up like Germany did, with a ridiculously high rape and crime rate after Merkel accepted tons of refugees. 

And maybe he's salty about the inauguration crowd because the liberal media lied about it so hard even supporters of Trump believed the fake pictures being shown around of the crowd. Pictures taken not at 6am or before the event started how a sizeable crowd, pretty packed. Probably not as much as Obama's, as he could really reel in the crowds, but it wasn't freaking empty like I've seen so many news sources at the time claim it was.

I also find it funny. A President who has actually kept his promises made during campaign and not just lying about them to get into office? Damn, what a lying bastard, amirite?

7 hours ago, PCB said:

Well, keep making jokes, for starters; sometimes it's the only way of dealing with a horrendous situation.  

Beyond that, the only answer is a sustained effort:

-Challenging the executive orders by every legal means, which there are plenty of.  They're not supposed to be a substitution for legislation, no matter what the current President thinks (or the prior one, for that matter).  

-Fight for sane Supreme Court nominees.  I'd like to think that one of the reasons the Cabinet appointees sailed through relatively smoothly was because the Democrats are saving their political points for the Court picks.  Schumer, the Senate minority leader, has indicated he intends to fight for a mainstream candidate, and I doubt they have any qualms about drawing the process out. (Scalia's been dead for almost a year, so the Republicans obviously aren't in a hurry).  We can also remind these reps how important this is by...

-Keeping the pressure on Congressmen and Senators through phone calls and petitions.  The Democrats are united against the President, and a number of Republicans aren't thrilled with him either.  As he continues to blunder his way through the Presidency and dissatisfaction with him increases, more and more Republicans will be able to denounce him, either because their principles are reasserting themselves or because their seat is on the line. Which leads to...

-Fighting to elect anti-Trump politicians in the mid-term elections. Though people are generally very supportive of their own local Congressman, it's definitely not unheard of for them to be ousted.  Trump won by very slim majorities in areas that have gone Democratic in the very recent past.  There seems to be a sense of "Let's give him a shot" in a lot of those places, but if he doesn't follow through on campaign promises, there are very real opportunities for Democrats to capitalize on that, and even staunchly Republican politicians may be susceptible to primary challengers.  I admit this is optimistic, as it will require people to not only stay engaged, but also to...

Fucking vote.  I remember hearing that over 200 million people were registered to vote last year, which was some kind of record.  I guess they had better things to do, because turnout was lower than it's been in 20 years.  Shitty Presidential candidates aside, electoral participation tumbles even more in the midterms, and Republicans tend to do better when voter turnout is low.  People need to register early, arrange for absentee ballots if needed, and make goddamn sure to get to the polls on election day to follow through on promises to kick pro-Trump politicians to the curb.  

There's a lot of other things we can do, but I'm tired and depressed.  Despite what you said earlier, Maru, this is not a dictatorship; not yet.  The system is designed to survive a shitty President.  We've done it before (skip to 32:45 at this link for a particular humorous example), and we'll do it again.   

All the fuck RIGHT. :yes:

Just a side note: it's easier to keep promises that take something away from others while saving the money you have available than it is to keep promises that requier funding. In other words it's easier to take away accessible health care (when you have the power to make such a decision) than to provide health care to people who don't have access to it. That's just an example. It's also easier to keep promises that only requier you to sign a new law than promises that requier active effort not only from you but pretty much all other citizen (for example: banning a certain group of people from entering a country(/officially declaring scientific facts to not be true) vs "stopping"/slowing down climate change). Please note my examples are not based on facts about what sort of promises the previous US presidental candidates have made durikg their campaigns. I don't know anything about that so I just picked things that came to my mind as possible promises someone could make.

3 hours ago, Sitruuna said:

Just a side note: it's easier to keep promises that take something away from others while saving the money you have available than it is to keep promises that requier funding. In other words it's easier to take away accessible health care (when you have the power to make such a decision) than to provide health care to people who don't have access to it. That's just an example. It's also easier to keep promises that only requier you to sign a new law than promises that requier active effort not only from you but pretty much all other citizen (for example: banning a certain group of people from entering a country(/officially declaring scientific facts to not be true) vs "stopping"/slowing down climate change). Please note my examples are not based on facts about what sort of promises the previous US presidental candidates have made durikg their campaigns. I don't know anything about that so I just picked things that came to my mind as possible promises someone could make.

You're making a very good point. 

I just wish it would land where it ought.

10 hours ago, LP said:

Man, gotta love Miss Information over here!

In the words of the Don: "WRONG!" It's a temporary ban until the vetting process is improved and we can screen for terrorists and weed out dangerous people more effectively. Friggin Canada has better vetting than we do. As they are not American citizens yet, they don't have a right to enter our country as much as we have the right to just enter someone else's country to live. Maybe we don't want to end up like Germany did, with a ridiculously high rape and crime rate after Merkel accepted tons of refugees. 

Oh look, Kellyanne Conway showed up!

Many of the people turned away or detained were people with green cards and visas.  People who are already legally allowed into our country because they've been vetted before.  Even some regular citizens flying in from Iraq, etc. were detained and questioned.  These people were detained at airports, unable to see lawyers, for hours at a time.  Refugees who have been sitting around for YEARS being vetted, who are ready to enter our country, are being denied.

If this is in fact about terrorism, LP, why is Saudi Arabia not on that list?  The MAST majority of 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.  And yet, hmm, seems Saudi Arabia didn't make the list.  I wonder if this is because we do business with Saudi Arabia?  America's security has NOTHING to do with this ban, or else Saudi Arabia would be one of the countries, but it's not.  It's about keeping Muslims and refugees out but not upsetting a country that matters to us financially.  It's bullshit.

I still get low-level horrified every time I see a thread called 'Donald Trump' on the Sneeze Fetish Forum.

It's a terrifying visual. And concept.

Anyway, carry on.

Surely Trump's worst deed is to do things so quickly that the Left  cannot work out what they're supposed to be objecting to.  No one remembers now that the reason why they were saying on Thursday that Mrs May should never meet Trump was that he had said that torture works. She was already travelling there.  But now, It's somehow her fault that Her majesty has invited Mr TRUMP to a state visit.  WE SHOULD  respect the words of Sir Mohammed Farah;   The Queen made him a knight, and now  Trump is making him an alien.  Clarification shows that he will be allowed to rejoin his family, who for inexplicable reasons have settled in America.

Do you know, I remember Nixon's state visit just after his election; it was really the first time that Tariq Ali had brought out Rentamob to kill horses and policemen in Grosvenor Square.  I don't think even the broad left understood why they had to oppose him, as he had got rid of "How mANY KIDS DID YOU kill today" LBJ.  [Some pagan sacrifice I assume] and undertaken to end the Vietnam war in which we were not involved.

Still, the doctrine says that if 2m people protest against him, Trump must be killed or something;  after all,, the other 97% of the population cannot be considered, even though signing something online would not generally be regarded as participatory democracy.