Nola

Donald Trump

364 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, murphy dee said:

Oh look, Kellyanne Conway showed up!

Many of the people turned away or detained were people with green cards and visas.  People who are already legally allowed into our country because they've been vetted before.  Even some regular citizens flying in from Iraq, etc. were detained and questioned.  These people were detained at airports, unable to see lawyers, for hours at a time.  Refugees who have been sitting around for YEARS being vetted, who are ready to enter our country, are being denied.

If this is in fact about terrorism, LP, why is Saudi Arabia not on that list?  The MAST majority of 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.  And yet, hmm, seems Saudi Arabia didn't make the list.  I wonder if this is because we do business with Saudi Arabia?  America's security has NOTHING to do with this ban, or else Saudi Arabia would be one of the countries, but it's not.  It's about keeping Muslims and refugees out but not upsetting a country that matters to us financially.  It's bullshit.

Thank you, haha I couldn't have said it better myself. 

17 hours ago, LP said:

Man, gotta love Miss Information over here!

In the words of the Don: "WRONG!" It's a temporary ban until the vetting process is improved and we can screen for terrorists and weed out dangerous people more effectively. Friggin Canada has better vetting than we do. As they are not American citizens yet, they don't have a right to enter our country as much as we have the right to just enter someone else's country to live. Maybe we don't want to end up like Germany did, with a ridiculously high rape and crime rate after Merkel accepted tons of refugees. 

And maybe he's salty about the inauguration crowd because the liberal media lied about it so hard even supporters of Trump believed the fake pictures being shown around of the crowd. Pictures taken not at 6am or before the event started how a sizeable crowd, pretty packed. Probably not as much as Obama's, as he could really reel in the crowds, but it wasn't freaking empty like I've seen so many news sources at the time claim it was.

I also find it funny. A President who has actually kept his promises made during campaign and not just lying about them to get into office? Damn, what a lying bastard, amirite?

How can anyone for fucks sake, argue that this is okay? Like it's a horrible horrible violation of human rights and dignity. Because of Trumps ban on muslim immigration the entire muslim community is painted to be evil. Trumps actions and ideologies inadvertently caused a Quebec man to walk into a Mosque in Quebec yesterday night, open fire, and kill 6 people inside the church. I don't even care what anyone says, Trump's actions with the ban has caused these sickios to think it's okay to prosecute Muslims. As a result people have died. He is a horrible human being creating so many disastrous after effects.  Damn, what a good president amirite?

On 1/30/2017 at 8:13 PM, Melody said:

How can anyone for fucks sake, argue that this is okay? Like it's a horrible horrible violation of human rights and dignity. Because of Trumps ban on muslim immigration the entire muslim community is painted to be evil. Trumps actions and ideologies inadvertently caused a Quebec man to walk into a Mosque in Quebec yesterday night, open fire, and kill 6 people inside the church. I don't even care what anyone says, Trump's actions with the ban has caused these sickios to think it's okay to prosecute Muslims. As a result people have died. He is a horrible human being creating so many disastrous after effects.  Damn, what a good president amirite?

Okay, first of all, it is NOT a Muslim ban. Jesus H. Christ, I'd say things, but then that would be just insulting you guys instead of actually making an argument. It is not a violation of human rights and dignity, but you know what is? Sharia Law. You know, that thing that many followers of Islam adhere to, that thing that allows them to treat woman like cattle and strips them of their basic human rights and dignity. Not allowing someone to enter our country for 120 days is not an infringement on their human rights or dignity. It is well within the laws of the United States, he is not breaking any laws.

Okay, about Canada... are you seriously. SERIOUSLY fucking blaming Trump. For something a Canadian did? No. Canada, you take responsibility for your acts of violence, we take responsibility for ours. What was done was horrible and disgusting, but the man who did it was in Canada. It was not done on American soil. Trump has nothing to do with that. You cannot blame a man for another mans actions. Trump did not hold a gun to this Canadians head and say shoot them, shoot them down now. The man decided on his own terms to do it. WHY would he care what the president of another country does to influence his behavior. You're all just looking for stupid ways to blame Trump for shit he is not responsible for. What's next, you gonna blame him when your car breaks down? Is Trump the new Russia now?

On 1/30/2017 at 1:24 PM, murphy dee said:

If this is in fact about terrorism, LP, why is Saudi Arabia not on that list?  The MAST majority of 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.  And yet, hmm, seems Saudi Arabia didn't make the list.  I wonder if this is because we do business with Saudi Arabia?  America's security has NOTHING to do with this ban, or else Saudi Arabia would be one of the countries, but it's not.  It's about keeping Muslims and refugees out but not upsetting a country that matters to us financially.  It's bullshit.

I don't know, why don't you ask Obama? Since big shocker, HE'S the one who picked the countries as they were "areas of concern". Trump was the one who carried it out. Immigration bans are nothing new, many other presidents have done it. Syria and other countries were halted because we've seen a large majority of terrorists come from Syria and other countries. This is about protecting our country. When I lock my doors at night, it's not because I hate my neighbors, but it's because I want to keep my family safe. This is not a Muslim ban, if it were, it would only apply to those who are followers of Islam. But it affects everyone from those countries selected by Obama. If someone were Christian and lived in these countries they too would also be kept from entering the country.

What do you people have against keeping the US safe? It's not even a permanent ban, it's a 120 ban until the vetting process is improved and then the borders will be reopened. I do disagree that people with Greencards and Visas shouldn't have been detained, but it seems from sources I've seen they're fixing that kink out. I think people with Greencards will be allowed in or something but will be checked again before entering.

As for people detained at the airports, some of the accounts are exaggerated. I'm not too well read up on that at the moment, but I do know the story of two professors who were detained and questioned for a few hours before being released. They said they were treated well and everything went fine as they followed instructions and understood that they were just doing their job. I've seen a few people keep saying they're still detained and yada yada, but they're back to teaching and all that.

i wish i had enough free time that i could spend as much of it defending fascist policy as you, LP

1 hour ago, LP said:

Okay, about Canada... are you seriously. SERIOUSLY fucking blaming Trump. For something a Canadian did? No.

Yes.  The United States doesn't exist in a fucking vacuum.  Shit Trump does is going to have far-reaching effects, and this white-supremacist felt emboldened by the Muslim ban and felt justified in committing this crime.  If you can't see the correlation there's no helping you, Kellyanne.

2 hours ago, LP said:

I don't know, why don't you ask Obama? Since big shocker, HE'S the one who picked the countries as they were "areas of concern". Trump was the one who carried it out.

"As of November 2016 (before President Trump's 20 January 2017 inauguration), a U.S. Customs & Border Protection FAQ page affirmed that travel restrictions remained in place for those specific seven countries but also noted that those "restrictions do not bar travel to the United States":

[O]n December 18, 2015, the President signed into law the Consolidated Appropriations Act 2016, which includes the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 (the Act). The Act, among other things, establishes new eligibility requirements for travel under the VWP. These new eligibility requirements do not bar travel to the United States. Instead, a traveler who does not meet the requirements must obtain a visa for travel to the United States, which generally includes an in-person interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate."  [source]

Obama named these countries as areas of concern, yes, but it was Trump who decided to outright stop these people from entering our country, which is something Obama never intended.  It's a crock of shit to sit there and say "oh Trump's just doing what Obama planned to do".

2 hours ago, LP said:

If someone were Christian and lived in these countries they too would also be kept from entering the country.

Except Trump himself has stated he would prioritize Christian refugees, on the basis that it's been more difficult for them to enter our country than Muslim refugees, but the numbers, of course, don't reflect this.

Look, Kellyanne, I get it, you bet all your chips on Trump and now he's a fucking global embarrassment and you feel like you need to keep defending this bad choice you made to save face, but you can stop.  You can just stop!  It's so easy.

You know... It's not like anyone has ever felt inspired or justified to do something hateful because of a person in a position of power has said or done something they consider encouraging. Or just because of a person they know of and possibly admire and share views with and see as a leader of some sort even if said person was not in a position of power. That never happens. Impossible.

(this is sarcasm, in case someone here missed that)

It's English from 0:15 on! Have fun!

On 2/3/2017 at 3:19 AM, LP said:

Okay, first of all, it is NOT a Muslim ban. Jesus H. Christ, I'd say things, but then that would be just insulting you guys instead of actually making an argument. It is not a violation of human rights and dignity, but you know what is? Sharia Law. You know, that thing that many followers of Islam adhere to, that thing that allows them to treat woman like cattle and strips them of their basic human rights and dignity. Not allowing someone to enter our country for 120 days is not an infringement on their human rights or dignity. It is well within the laws of the United States, he is not breaking any laws.

Okay, about Canada... are you seriously. SERIOUSLY fucking blaming Trump. For something a Canadian did? No. Canada, you take responsibility for your acts of violence, we take responsibility for ours. What was done was horrible and disgusting, but the man who did it was in Canada. It was not done on American soil. Trump has nothing to do with that. You cannot blame a man for another mans actions. Trump did not hold a gun to this Canadians head and say shoot them, shoot them down now. The man decided on his own terms to do it. WHY would he care what the president of another country does to influence his behavior. You're all just looking for stupid ways to blame Trump for shit he is not responsible for. What's next, you gonna blame him when your car breaks down? Is Trump the new Russia now?

Oh my god your stupidity amuses me. I mean, I always knew there's stereotypical American shitheads like you who voted him in but I just hoped they were far and few in between. Do you know what the word ban means? Ban does not always mean permanent. And since there are Muslims from 7 countries that aren't allowed in the US for 120 days that is STILL a ban. And I'm sorry do you know what human rights are? Because according to the UN international declaration of human rights, discriminating against someone for their ethnicity, culture, religion, or birthplace, is a VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS. Trump is technically not violating American domestic law because he's the fucking president but he is violating international customary law. 

And yes bitch, I am blaming Trump. The shooter was a MAJOR Trump supporter and do you think it' a mere confidence that about 5 days prior Trump announced the travel ban? He's spreading a message that Islamaphobia is okay genius. Also do you know what inadvertently means? It means indirectly causing something. His actions indirectly caused some islamphobe to think that persecuting Muslims is okay. Think about it. If one of the biggest superpowers in the world can "get away" with mistreating Muslims then surely, he could to right? If Trump didn't announce the travel ban I'm almost 99 % sure that man would've never walked into the church shooting up the place. So yes I do blame him. BECAUSE HE IS FUCKING INDIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE. God I almost pity you. Open your fucking eyes man. You've been brainwashed by your own prejudice. 

Edited by Melody

I just came here to eat popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Same. :jerry:

Yeah, I can imagine it's really easy to sit back and laugh about it when the policies we're debating that Donald Trump and his roving band of Nazis are planning on enacting don't affect you or anyone you give a shit about. Must be really nice.

I don't like Trump. I don't like that he's the president. I voted against him last year. I'm going to vote against him in 2020. This thread has gotten to the point though where yeah, it's pretty entertaining watching you all go at it with LP.

Woo, here I am to start posting in a thread that probably should die by now!

I am a straight white male born in the US so I realize I am probably going to get through this just fine. I say that in order to check my privilege and because I'm pissed off at so much this administration has already done.

But I am a journalist and the way this president is attacking the media just leaves me dumbfounded. I am nearly frozen with fear that he is going to do irreparable harm to public trust in good media outlets like the Times and Washington Post. I wish this whole fake news thing never happened because the way Trump uses that phrase may be more impactful than its original meaning. That is all for now. Wish us luck. David Farenthold for president.