Nola

Donald Trump

331 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Masking said:

To be quite honest, while I'm still leaving the country if he gets elected, I'd rather have Trump as president than Cruz. Trump just wants attention; Cruz is virulently evangelical, and he's DANGEROUS.

From what I've seen on Slate and other opinion sources, I'm inclined to agree. Trump seems to be the least serious, therefore possibly the least dangerous, of the whole, giant, fantastically NUTS bunch of BOP candidates.

The entire possibility of him becoming president makes me very anxious and nauseous.  I'm already facing the distinct possibility of having to return to the US about the time the  next president takes office and to come back to him as president has me noping all the way out.  I'd rather pack a bag and go hide in the Highlands before having to return home to the country in such a disarray, and I do believe that would occur.

23 hours ago, Thom said:

I don't know... I feel like comparing Cards Against Humanity to Donald Trump is a bit of an insult. To Cards Against Humanity. 

thom are you in my mind? because thats what im thinking :D

14 hours ago, March Hare said:

From what I've seen on Slate and other opinion sources, I'm inclined to agree. Trump seems to be the least serious, therefore possibly the least dangerous, of the whole, giant, fantastically NUTS bunch of BOP candidates.

And yet they keep suspending their campaigns and dropping out left and right while he charges ever forward with his army of morons.

"I wrote the number one book on business- 'Trump, the art of the-'"

"-fart".

"When I play golf, I protect my hair from damage by-"

"-leaving it in the clubhouse."

Okay, I know this is a little off topic but I have a Chrome extension that changes his name to Donald Drumpf and I legit cannot stop laughing. 

2 hours ago, Adrian said:

Okay, I know this is a little off topic but I have a Chrome extension that changes his name to Donald Drumpf and I legit cannot stop laughing. 

Make Donald Drumpf Again!

Seriously though, is that deathclown going to stand for the BOP? We have a HUGE problem, O brethren.

...at least you're probably not getting Cruz-ader? :ohno:

On 4/28/2016 at 10:27 AM, Adrian said:

I have an extension that changes it to "some rich a--hole". Chrome is great. He is horrific. 

I'M SCARED FOR MY FRIEND GOING INTO THE NAVY *YELLS* CAN I LIVE IN ENGLAND WITH SOMEONE

Headline on Slate: "Donald Trump Is Not Normal".

Apparently, their new editor-in-chief is Captain Obvious.

I've gone through this entire thread, and I'm quite amused by everyone in here.

I'm not much a politics person, I honestly quite dislike it when conversations veer to politics. But this election time, while I still cringe listening to people talk about it, I still find it interesting.

I for one feel the media sensationalizes (no really?) Donald Trump, the media just makes him seem like so much more of a despicable man than he really is. I've seen it mentioned before in the thread, about how Cruz is a lot worse than Trump, that I agree with, and I was happy to see him drop out. Now he can resume his one true calling of being the Zodiac Killer.

When people were getting all uppity about him wanting to build a wall, all I could do was chuckle. They all want to build a wall. He's just louder about it. Hell, there's already a "wall" there. A really shit one, but hey, it's something. 

And then what about all the things he's recently said? Like how he thinks transgender people should be allowed to go in whatever fucking bathroom they feel like going in. How about how his work place consists of mostly woman. That doesn't seem sexist to me. Hell, his wife is an immigrant, and she's an incredibly smart woman (inb4 jokes made about how she's not smart for marrying him). What about when he supported Bernie, when he said that he was being treated unfairly in the Docratic rep?

I feel too many people have fallen into media bias. There's clips of groups of African Americans asked, what specifically Trump has said about African American communities that offends them, and they are unable to respond. Yes, he's a very rude, loud, abrasive man, with definitely some racist tendencies, I'm not denying that. But he's not that big of a horrible person. If you dislike him, okay, no problem with that. It's just those people that just jump on the hate wagon without any other reason than "the media says we should hate him" and not doing any research on their own about the candidates, that bother me. There's no need to overreact, approach with a cool head.

I wouldn't say I'm a Trump supporter, per say, I don't know if I'd vote for him when the time comes. But I know for sure I ain't votin' for any of those other candidates.

I don't know, that's just my 2¢. I know it's not going to be the most popular 2¢, but I threw them in anyway.

If you approached Trump with a cool head, he'd just set it on fire.

No but seriously, even if he's not as awful as the media enjoy making him out to be (and in fairness, they really only have to film him in action, that'll speak for itself, right?)... What has he ever honestly done that would make anyone think he'd be any kind of decent as president of a splintering-and-barely-held-together-by-the-duct-tape-of-delusional-nationalist-pride-and-powerful-trade-lobbies country?

As for that wall thing... Who exactly are those "they all" you're talking about? Not a rhetorical question; I'm an ignorant forunner who needs to be informated.

7 hours ago, March Hare said:

As for that wall thing... Who exactly are those "they all" you're talking about? Not a rhetorical question; I'm an ignorant forunner who needs to be informated.

"They all want to build a wall", meaning Conservative Republicans as a whole would like nothing better than wall us off and keep people from Mexico from getting into the country by any means necessary.  Usually they're more tactful and vague with their racism than Trump.  lol Trump is the big ugly whitehead on the pimple of the Republican party - they're all made of the same gross shit, Trump is just the most visible.

That is what I meant. I apologize for not clarifying. But to be fair, I mean, should we be allowing people from Mexico to illegally cross the border into the states? Wouldn't it be for the countries best interests to keep illegal immigrants from managing to get in?

I'm not one of those people who think that "Mexicans are taking Americans jobs" because it's pretty clear they're just taking the jobs most Americans wouldn't even joke about taking. And I appreciate how hard working some of them are, but then there are some that... Aren't.

Heh, your description though did give me a chuckle. He does a god job of making himself noticed. You know what's funny though? Trumps campaign and how he's gone about it really reminds me of how Ronald Reagan went about his campaign (at least from what I learned of it, I obviously wasn't there XD).

15 hours ago, LP said:

That is what I meant. I apologize for not clarifying. But to be fair, I mean, should we be allowing people from Mexico to illegally cross the border into the states? Wouldn't it be for the countries best interests to keep illegal immigrants from managing to get in?

I'm not one of those people who think that "Mexicans are taking Americans jobs" because it's pretty clear they're just taking the jobs most Americans wouldn't even joke about taking. And I appreciate how hard working some of them are, but then there are some that... Aren't.

1) "allowing something" is not exactly the same thing as "letting something happen because ways to prevent it that are both effective and realistic have not been invented yet", and 2) whatever goes for Mexicans, goes for 'Mericans, and basically for every other "nation" in the whole wide world.

But what were your other arguments again?

On 5/10/2016 at 5:30 PM, LP said:

How about how his work place consists of mostly woman. That doesn't seem sexist to me.

Just because a person hires a lot of women doesn't mean they're not sexist. Also, I doubt he actually hires any of the people who work for him. He probably has someone else do it. And even if he says one 'nice' thing about women (or whoever else), that doesn't mean he actually thinks that way. He is a business man and a celebrity, he is very good at saying what he thinks people want to hear. Personally, as soon as he said that thing about dating his own daughter and whenever he judges a woman by how she looks just completely disregards anything he can ever say that might not be sexist. I mean, he is literally the ugliest man on the planet but he gets to tell woman whether they are beautiful or not??

(Also, unrelated, but I think the only smart thing Dump's wife ever did WAS marry him, tbh. She is probably hoping, as all his other wives were, that he die while she's hitched). 

22 hours ago, LP said:

I agree with Maru here that allowing isn't really the issue. I haven't really established my thoughts on illegal immigration, but I just think, in general, there is a lot more for politicians to be worrying about. Then again, that is what politics have come to these days. Whatever makes the media people cream their pants the most is the hot button issue. And Donald sure knows how to get attention, as you said. 

But I bolded the part I take issue with. You're right, some immigrants are not hard working people. But there are tons more legal Americans that are not hard working. And for some reason that is unclear to me, we can't just send them to some Lazy Entitled Island and let them fend for themselves. Personally, I'd rather keep the few illegals that don't work and send all the legal POS elsewhere. 

Siiiigh.....anyways, I am still hoping against hopes that I will wake up and someone will say, 'oh, that Donald running for prez thing, nah, just a giant, not funny, joke.' A girl can dream, right?

I see your first point, and apparently the Republicans feel like a wall will definitely do the trick. The reality and effectiveness of it though... Mmmm. Yeah.

And that is true, but that doesn't mean I don't dislike those types of people, regardless of their ethnicity. It really angers me that the lazy ass moochers that are legal can get away with being lazy ass moochers.

(*Edit* Not ignoring you Nola, apparently you responded while I was still typing.)

Edited by LP

3 hours ago, LP said:

(*Edit* Not ignoring you Nola, apparently you responded while I was still typing.)

It's cool. :) For my sanity, I try to stay away from this thread that I started. I hope I didn't sound rude or anything, just everything about Dump makes me want to scream, cry and hurl. 

I understand. Politics in general make me upset, especially when a pleasant conversation between friends turns into a debate where one side is screaming their opinion in the others face.

Hm, I guess personally I don't find him that upsetting. It's mostly the people when they talk about politics. I can't judge really, each person has their dislikes and such. I suppose what really annoys me the most is just people who hate Trump without really watching any debates (or not even being involved in politics at all beyond saying they hate him), and are just saying they hate him because everyone around them says they hate him. As well as people who call Trump supporters assholes. I have a few friends that are voting for Trump and they are the some of the nicest people I know. Meanwhile, my one friend who is a Bernie supporter is a rip roaring asshole. I'm not saying all Bernie supporters are like him, not at all. But just, there's assholes from every side, and I find it annoying that just Trump supporters are called assholes. Especially when it's other candidates supporters causing riots and shit.

12 minutes ago, LP said:

I have a few friends that are voting for Trump and they are the some of the nicest people I know.

I kind of doubt that most Mexican people or Muslims would agree with that assessment at all.

I really don't think it's possible to be a racist - or support a racist - and be a "nice person." Because yeah, maybe you're (general you) a nice person to someone's face, but if you're dehumanizing to people of other races, then you're really, genuinely a piece of shit. I don't think there's really any getting around that. From your post it makes it sound like you think racism only applies to Black folks or something, because you said that they can't pinpoint what he's said about the African-American community that offends them. And that's just completely irrelevant, really. I'm whiter than sour cream and I find the fact that he's consistently racist in regards to Mexicans and Muslims absolutely horrifying. You don't have to be directly affected by something to know it's wrong and offensive. Honestly, how can you sit there and say "yes, he's rude, loud, abrasive, and racist, but he's not that horrible"? I really, genuinely don't understand.

And he absolutely is a misogynist - the fact that his companies hire women has nothing to do with that. You can hire women (and you can desire women as partners) and still have absolutely no respect for them, and Trump has demonstrated that he doesn't, again and again.

Edited by Junia

Yeah, but Juni, please do do do try to distinguish between ignorance and malice. Ignorance doesn't necessarily make anyone "genuinely a piece of shit" until they have access to the necessary information and then choose to ignore it. Imagine growing up in a Fox News household and not having been dealt too many brain cards. How are you ever going to know the harm you're doing, if someone doesn't explain to you (instead of just calling you a genuine piece of shit)?

Too many people simply do not know. It's a problem and it has to change, but it won't change if people who do know simply get angry and start cussing.

/threadjack

Trump does seem to act from wilful ignorance, which is highly problematic if he is ever to become president. I do wonder.

On 5/14/2016 at 10:27 PM, LP said:

there's assholes from every side,

Yep. This will always be true. And usually, the more adamant and extreme a person is about their beliefs, the bigger asshole they become.

As for me and Trump, I have always hated him even before he decided to be part of politics. Mostly because I tend to despise any rich person who acts as if they're a better human being than those who have less. *cough* Steve Jobs, Gwyneth Paltrow *cough*

However, I do think I understand where you're coming from, that it isn't appropriate to label anyone as an asshole simply because they support a particular candidate (or a dumbass, or whatever choice words we might have for people who don't share our views). Because of course, we have no idea why anyone is voting for a candidate. It may not be because they're racist supporters or woman-haters, but maybe because of economy things or because they believe a candidate has good family values.

To be fair, that was a major reason as to why I cast my vote twice for President Obama. He had young girls, education clearly meant more to him, and he seemed to be, along with Michelle, very good parents. I do think most people are one issue voters, which is unfortunate, perhaps, but it isn't going to change. 

In either case, I will still always hate Trump and will never vote for him. And, so far I have never met a Trump supporter irl. So I cannot comment on to their moral status, nor would I. (I might still think they are a certain way, because we're all biased, but I will have some class and not assume I know they're an asshole and a racist). 

8 hours ago, March Hare said:

Yeah, but Juni, please do do do try to distinguish between ignorance and malice. Ignorance doesn't necessarily make anyone "genuinely a piece of shit" until they have access to the necessary information and then choose to ignore it. Imagine growing up in a Fox News household and not having been dealt too many brain cards. How are you ever going to know the harm you're doing, if someone doesn't explain to you (instead of just calling you a genuine piece of shit)?

Well, I do account for (and am happy about) the fact that people can change. Right now, I'm not engaged in debate with anybody who appears to genuine espouse racist ideals or speaking in an area where I'm hoping to change peoples' minds on a much broader scale, so I'm not going to dedicate the energy right this second to dismantling racism right this second (because right now I am frustrated and tired). I don't speak so off-the-cuff when I'm actually setting out to explain my position in a more articulate manner because yeah, I think it's probably more well-received for me as a white person to be calm about it when I explain it to other people, but like I said, right now I really am just frustrated; hopefully that makes sense. The idea of a Trump presidency is terrifying.

The issue is also more nuanced than my post upthread implies, I realize. I think it's probably possible to vote for a racist candidate and not be racist so long as the candidate doesn't intend on enacting their racist values or putting them into law, but that's not really what's going on with Trump.

I agree with you that ignorance is a powerful thing, but I also think that it's just... an immensely privileged thing, something only white people can claim. I also wish I could agree with you that racism (or any other -ism) had anything to do with being stupid, but it's unfortunately clear to me at this point that it's more a matter of lack of empathy than any intellectual deficiency. There are some truly brilliant minds who are disgustingly racist and there are some people who are dumber than a bag of wet hair who understand why racism is such an ugly thing. I genuinely wish we could chalk it up to stupidity, but I really don't think we can.

2 hours ago, Nola said:

It may not be because they're racist supporters or woman-haters, but maybe because of economy things or because they believe a candidate has good family values.

Okay, that's fair enough. However, even if they aren't actively racist themselves, people who vote along these lines are absolutely, 100% complicit in racism, because valuing the economy or family values over acknowledging the humanity of your (general you) fellow people is honestly a pretty fucked up, myopic thing to do, and again, something that pretty much only white people have the privilege to do. Pointing that out is not somehow lacking in class.

Edited by Junia
a word

3 hours ago, Junia said:

However, even if they aren't actively racist themselves, people who vote along these lines are absolutely, 100% complicit in racism, because valuing the economy or family values over acknowledging the humanity of your (general you) fellow people is honestly a pretty fucked up, myopic thing to do, and again, something that pretty much only white people have the privilege to do. Pointing that out is not somehow lacking in class.

That is not what I was referring to as lack of class. I think calling someone insert name here because of who they support is class-less. Furthermore, I don't know if I agree with this statement, in that voting for one issue means someone is complicit in racism. Maybe you simply mean voting for Trump means that. I do agree that as white people, we do have the privilege to vote one-issue, though. Well, maybe not poor white people. Or white women. They have to be concerned with at least one other thing other than the one-issue they believe in most.

Mostly, I think the issue simply comes down to this statement:

4 hours ago, Junia said:

The idea of a Trump presidency is terrifying.

Because it is. No matter the underlying cause for why people are voting for him, just that for some reason they are. 

Well, asshole's campaign is running out of money. That's a good sign, right? :worriedsmiley: