Junia

Disgusting aspects of the fetish (and the people who like them)

69 posts in this topic

So, I'm sure a lot of us have noticed there have been a number of threads based on... god, even typing this is horrifying to me, but smelling sneezes. Okay. That's disgusting for about a million bacteria-related reasons - I'm sure I don't have to elaborate on that. The level of disgust I feel towards this every time it's mentioned is astronomical, I can hardly describe it. It is seriously actively disturbing on a very core level to me. And it kills me that this is a topic that comes up, presented by the same people, over and over and fucking over again, to have the exact same discussion with the exact same participants loving it and everybody else being like, "that's disgusting." The conversation has been had multiple times by the same people and yet it's the topic that just won't die. This is probably the point at which one might say, "Well then don't fucking read them, idiot," and I'd like to acknowledge that as a valid viewpoint before it comes up. Unfortunately for me, intrusive thoughts are a huge part of my mental illnesses, so the second it comes up on the forum it's in my brain for ages, and I might as well complain openly about it since I can't stop thinking about it anyway. I wish it was as easy as "don't look at it" for me, but it isn't, so here I am. I also acknowledge that people can't help what aspects of the fetish turn them on and I'd like to mention that despite my extreme reaction of revulsion to this aspect of it, I don't cast moral judgment on anybody getting off on this in and of itself.

However...

The people who are most vocal about getting off on it seem to be total assholes for some reason. Maybe there are good, positive members here who enjoy this aspect of the fetish but who don't post about it because the general populace is in agreement about its foulness (understandable, if that's the case). But the majority of people who contribute to those threads saying how much they like it present themselves as legitimately gross people. There's one nasty-ass motherfucker (who has started three threads at this point that basically amount to "how smell the sneeze of a girl?") who's a paramedic and posted an observation about a woman who overdosed on pain pills waking up to a sneezing fit, which is beyond unprofessional and disgusting, and which I think I find more objectionable than multiple threads about this subject. Fucking appalling. Then there's another poster who has the habit of grilling other members for details about obs or whatever, even when the member in question has made it clear they were absolutely repulsed by it, which is amazingly rude. In the latest thread on this horrifying phenomenon, he quickly became defensive and assumed a victim complex when it was pointed out to him how someone's sneeze might come to have a smell and when people expressed how grossed out they were by the entire thing, claiming that his right to post about what he liked was being "snatched away." Like, grow the fuck up, just because people think what you like is disgusting doesn't mean they're trampling on your right to post about it. I don't understand why being a dickhead in some capacity is apparently a pre-requisite for enjoying this, or why anybody wants to act like they're being personally victimized when people think something they like is gross. There are tons of people who think the idea of a sneezing fetish in general is gross and we're not being persecuted because of it. Same thing applies to this specific facet of it.

I don't know why it's so hard for some people to just commit themselves to the lowest common denominator of decency. Don't post obs of unconscious, injured people, don't creepily ask people to elaborate on things they obviously find disgusting, don't pretend like you're being victimized because people think what you like is nasty. Just be decent!!

in my opinion those guys are fucked up and those threads are fucxked up and they suck lol

entitled, creepy, unethical, unprofessional, rude as fuck!!!!!!!!!!

edit: also, uh, sexualizing a dying person, especially as someone who is being paid to take care of them, is one of the most morally reprehensible things i can think of and i'm extremely unhappy that the thread about it wasn't hidden. fuck off to hell, seriously

Edited by Sen Beret

This is the snake pit right?

So I can say these people can fuck off and fall off a high cliff or something?

The "smelling sneezes" crowd is especially revolting, yes, and it honestly makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. But don't even get me STARTED on the people who routinely bring up their family members when talking about obs or whatever, I cannot even properly explain how fucking gross this is to me. People who post obs about their mom getting a cold, or will wax nostalgic about what huge nose-blowers their moms were, FUCKING MURDER ME UGH. QUIT GETTING TURNED ON BY YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY AND SHARING IT WITH US, CHRIST. I WILL SCREAM FOREVER ABOUT THIS.

Ok. After going back and reading said posts, I feel I am ready to say my piece...The posts were a bit tasteless. I'm not into the smell of sneezes. The thought makes me dry heave a little. I do understand that this is a sneeze fetish site and there are many subfetishes (that is my word now) and people are gonna like what they're gonna like, and they may even post about it. But Juni is correct. The way the defender of said poster went about making his counter arguments was somewhat out of line and that puts others in this niche fetish in a bad light. The original poster could have put a warning on the title to have those not into this aspect of the fetish turn a blind eye to it. And the contents of the drug overdose post could have been thought through a little more before submitting. Drug overdosing is a sensitive subject for those who have experienced this or have witnessed others succumb to it. A warning should have been put in the title or the contents of said post could have been censored to make it more acceptable. The words woman and overdosed on drugs could have been replaced with girlfriend/lady friend/female neighbor or, god, anything except for a poor woman succumbing to a drug overdose and the words allergy attack.

But, yes, this can be best avoided with disclaimers or fabricating your observations to not offend or terrify your readers.

The "smelling sneezes" crowd is especially revolting, yes, and it honestly makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. But don't even get me STARTED on the people who routinely bring up their family members when talking about obs or whatever, I cannot even properly explain how fucking gross this is to me. People who post obs about their mom getting a cold, or will wax nostalgic about what huge nose-blowers their moms were, FUCKING MURDER ME UGH. QUIT GETTING TURNED ON BY YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY AND SHARING IT WITH US, CHRIST. I WILL SCREAM FOREVER ABOUT THIS.

YES!! 100x YES! I hate this. Why do people feel the need to sexualize family members especially their moms! What is that about?!

Also. People that sexualize sneezing and child related things, basically everything except children. Baby clothes, diapers, dolls, cartoons, etc. IT'S SO GROSS. WHY. Just because it's not an actual child doesn't make it better!!!

I'm thinking out loud here, so feel free to disregard it, but I just read the thread that I think is the most recent incidence of this and, whist I agree that there is some behaviour on there that makes me very uncomfortable (especially the pushing for further details from someone who is clearly not interested), our response to the topic generally as a forum was rapidly and decisively negative.

I wonder whether that has anything to do with it? (Genunine question btw, not sarcasm) Perhaps if someone feels that their version of the fetish is so maligned, they give up on finding acceptance, lose their desire to function as a decent part of the community and focus on what they can get even at the discomfort of others.

I don't know.

Just a thought. Sorry for not presenting it more coherantly - on my way out to work!

I hate to openly express disgust on someon's preferences on a forum like this but "smelling sneezes" is definitely way too far into nope-zone for me. I haven't even read the topics (aside from the first one I saw) because I don't want to think about it so I really don't know what the people talking about it are like.

But.

I still feel bad about it being brought to the spotlight as the "ewww this thing is disgusting" subfetish (definitely adopting this term). I would feel terrible if my preferences were openly hated on in a generally nice and accepting community.

So basically the problem is that we have creeps and pervs running around our preshus sankshuareh.

Welcome to the fucking Internet, bitches.

Ban them if they break the rules. Bitch them out. But don't whine about how they do not adhere to decent standards, because there is nothing of less use than that.

You have a choice. The choice is between "EHRMAGERD THEY ARE HARMING MY SOUL I HATE THEM I FEEL SO DAMAGED WHELPPP KILL IT WITH FIRE" and "eh, fuck 'em. Where is the good stuff."

Of course it isn't easy. Did I say it was easy? No I didn't. But the choice is there and it is yours to make. YOURS. You are choosing to make a problem of this of your own free will. Just don't forget that.

I am not going to read any of those posts you're talking about and I don't give a fuck how bad they may or may not be. You can choose to do the same... or not. Just remember that that's what it is. Your choice.

But the choice is there and it is yours to make. YOURS. You are choosing to make a problem of this of your own free will. Just don't forget that.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about this as well. As disgusting as it may be, I personally feel that I have no right to judge for the most part. Im sure things i like will be found disgusting by others, but I wouldn't go out my way on this site to call someone a freak based off of their turn ons, I don't find that fair at all. This is a fetish forum at the end of the day and like anywhere else on the internet, if I see something I know i won't like then I just ignore it completely, plain and simple.

So basically the problem is that we have creeps and pervs running around our preshus sankshuareh.

Totally off topic but I'm forever going to refer to the Forum as "our preshus sankshuareh" from now on.

I can deal with people huffing their bacteria-laden, incestuous sneezes. Like, fucking whatever, although the idea of even being loosely associated with that is horrifying to me. But it's your bag.

I think the points Junia touched on that really revolt me and are very worthy of criticism are the behavior of said people. Posting a work-obs about an only semi-conscious woman ODing on drugs? Fucking gross on a human decency level, and while it's true that many or most obs stride a "consent" line (although one I generally compare to harmlessly checking out strangers on the street), this one shoots so far over into Creepsville that it's unacceptable.

Also, asking people to elaborate on something they've straight-up said makes them uncomfortable, with details clearly designed to let you jerk it, is some gnarly sharking. Happens all the time here on the forum, I don't know why anyone would just shrug and say "it is what it is", it's fucking gross and I'm allowed to call it out. Which brings me to a side-point:

Ban them if they break the rules. Bitch them out. But don't whine about how they do not adhere to decent standards, because there is nothing of less use than that.

Blue is very, very heavily moderated, which has many pro's for making it into a safe space. However, I also think there's a lot of tone policing and silencing going on. A lot of people have been generally gross human beings on here without teeeechnically breaking the rules, so they get away with it, but dissenters tend to get wrist slaps for bitching anywhere outside the Snake Pit. I know that I've reported some shark-y PM's I've gotten, and the response was "weeeelll you didn't say you DIDN'T want to be sharked, so!"

I'm of the plain opinion that sometimes people need to be told they're being an asshole from their peers for it to sink in. A warning from the staff and a citation of the Constitution is all very sterile and I have to think it doesn't actually sway a lot of people, if they're anything like me. So yeah, I've LOVE to bitch them out to their face and not whine about it "behind their backs" in the Snake Pit (which I think is a workaround that creates its own kind of weird, passive-aggressive situation that isn't necessarily much better, BUT blah blah I'm getting off topic). But I can't, so fuck it. I snarl at fetish friends on Skype and then go about my day, but that doesn't stop the original offender from behaving like a jackass in the future.

The thing about "don't like, don't look" is kind of hard when you're innocently reading an obs and someone comes in with this nastiness. It's the equivalent of surprise acid to the face.

It bothers me when I see it come up but I'm not a judgmental person so I don't fault these people for the specifics of their kink. However the ways they choose to express their interests rubs me the wrong way, particularly the obs about a physically ill and extremely vulnerable patient. It's almost like it's being shoved down the throats of people who do not and CAN NOT find it sexy. That shit is nasty on a biological level and the majority of people here don't want anything to do with it. I wish this nastiness could be contained to one thread, and even that seems generous. Like how much conversation can you really have about smelly sneezes?

please guys. stop complaining about the fucked up things that are right in front of you. i know its so fucked up but just report it and ignore it. i dont want it to seem like the members of our forum are outwardly against predatory behavior, and i dont want predators to feel humiliated :/ can't we all just get along? all of us? literally everyone on earth? including the predators? this thread is just super negative :/ you guys are really sensitive, seriously, grow up and accept that the real world is full of predators, and i'd rather you went behind their backs to say that you don't like it instead of confronting their fucked up behavior to their face. seriously!!! grow up guys!!!! our forum should be a safe place for all!!!!!! predators included :)

Welcome to the fucking Internet, bitches.

You have a choice. The choice is between "EHRMAGERD THEY ARE HARMING MY SOUL I HATE THEM I FEEL SO DAMAGED WHELPPP KILL IT WITH FIRE" and "eh, fuck 'em. Where is the good stuff."

Of course it isn't easy. Did I say it was easy? No I didn't. But the choice is there and it is yours to make. YOURS. You are choosing to make a problem of this of your own free will. Just don't forget that.

I am not going to read any of those posts you're talking about and I don't give a fuck how bad they may or may not be. You can choose to do the same... or not. Just remember that that's what it is. Your choice.

:laugh: I know making needlessly condescending, holier-than-thou posts is kind of your schtick and everything, but this is really funny to me, because I addressed the only issue you're truly frothing about in my OP:

This is probably the point at which one might say, "Well then don't fucking read them, idiot," and I'd like to acknowledge that as a valid viewpoint before it comes up. Unfortunately for me, intrusive thoughts are a huge part of my mental illnesses, so the second it comes up on the forum it's in my brain for ages, and I might as well complain openly about it since I can't stop thinking about it anyway. I wish it was as easy as "don't look at it" for me, but it isn't, so here I am.

Don't worry - I understand reading comprehension can be a little shaky when you're busy up on your high horse, so I don't mind reiterating it or anything!

Garnet covered everything I would have said in her post, because the main point is to criticize the terrible behavior of people. For better or for worse, we're tone policed into the ground on this forum. so we can't talk about this openly in other subforums the way I'd love to. If you're (and this is a general you here, actually) totally cool with people posting obs of unconscious people and shit like that, even when it doesn't break the rules, you're probably the one with the bigger problem, not me.

I have nothing new to contribute to this open mockery of shitty behavior but I will continue to aggressively nod in agreement with all posts echoing the opinions of the original.

What happened to the old days when people had the right to call out obvious grossness without being slapped on the hand for being too mean or too rude or less than pleasant to members with clearly disgusting tendencies? The pedophiles, for one? Oh, I am so sorry that I told a man who has sexual thoughts of little girls that he is a disgusting pervert. Get a fucking grip.

I agree with most of you that there ought to be a way to call sharks, trolls and wilful pervs out on their filth outside the Snake Pit.

If there were, there would be no need for passive-agressive witch hunts and "discussions" that always deteriorate into pots calling kettles black and vice versa.

I agree with most of you that there ought to be a way to call sharks, trolls and wilful pervs out on their filth outside the Snake Pit.

If there were, there would be no need for passive-agressive witch hunts and "discussions" that always deteriorate into pots calling kettles black and vice versa.

Okay, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this honestly but it sounds like you are saying that you, who "by choice" decides to overlook the "sharks, trolls and wilful pervs", are basically level with people who don't let it go and instead choose to call out inappropriate behavior. The pot calling the kettle black? I don't think so.

There is a distinct line between these two actions. One, the conceal, don't feel method doesn't do anything to help the situation. In fact, by simply overlooking it, the ones who engage in the sort of shitty behavior that warrants calling out are encouraged to continue sexualizing half conscious women who OD'd on drugs, jerking off to children, and the like, because no one is telling them otherwise. You are 100% doing more harm by choosing not to be affected by obviously immoral behavior. This is not just about keeping your own nose clean by ignoring gross misconduct on the part of offensive idiots.

Making a post in the Snake Pit may not be the best way to talk about shitty people, but as per your sentiment, there is really not that much we can say without being slapped on the wrist for being too out of line on the regular forum. But that is all subjective anyway, with the tone policing we have all over the forum to protect all the poor little predators. Personally, I don't feel it is out of line at all to tell someone that they are wrong and disgusting for engaging in immoral behavior for their sexual pleasure. This thread was clearly meant to bring up this problem we have with gross people with gross habits. There is no passive aggression in bringing up specific posts about very specific things. I would say that is actually as direct as we can be, save personally messaging these people. But again, I feel that multiple people responding negatively to the things mentioned in the original post provides a much bigger statement than sending a PM saying "You're gross and you should feel gross."

If you would get your head out of your ass, you might see that you are the one being passive aggressive.

To clarify, I'm not saying that people should have free reign to act in a predatory manner, or that under any circumstances they should be excused for doing so, but in that general discussion thread, the feeling was very much 'ew that's horrible' before the sharkiness happened.

And I guess that's fine if you think it's horrible... except, why say it?

I really dislike some aspects of the fetish that are generally accepted on the forum, and no doubt some people are/would be disgusted by the things I like. Usually we ignore it, or we see it, feel uncomfortable, and move on, and I'm not sure why this thing is any different. I don't like it, but probably the attraction it invokes in some people is as innate and inexplicable as the revulsion it evokes in me. Sometimes people aren't in control of the weird shit that turns them on (or so I've heard...)

Usually we ignore it, or we see it, feel uncomfortable, and move on, and I'm not sure why this thing is any different.

It's not about the aspect of the fetish itself (although, like, that is disgusting to a lot of us) but about the behavior of those who enjoy it. Junia said in their original post that this abhorrent behavior is found in those who want to indulge, and I believe that people got particularly aggressive in the latest thread because they were totally fed up with it.

Like, yeah, people can like what they like. It's the sneeze fetish forum. Whatever. But I'm not going to ignore someone demanding information from somebody about an unpleasant experience for the (obvious) sake of the former's sexual pleasure. Not to mention the drug overdose thread. Seriously, this kind of thing sucks and I feel like it's dangerous and enabling not to call it out when I have the opportunity.

If they insist on talking about huffing sneezes, can't they at least do it politely?!

Hmmm. This thread is a difficult thread for me to pass judgement on, and I do admit i haven't read the threads mentioned and thus don't have a first hand account of Junia's experiences, so my opinion might not be the most valid. I guess my main dilemma with this issue as that the whole thing seems like parsing -- singling out someone for objectifying another person who doesn't necessarily want or is consenting to being sexualized in a certain way. So then by that logic, (and I'm not disagreeing with said-logic, mind you), can't the whole observation section (excluding self obs and SO indulgence obs) be construed in the same way? Who's to say someone who finds sneezes in general repulsive wouldn't be offended by the way some people rave about certain observations? That is, if the question of the objectified person's consent is indeed a point of interest in this discussion -- and apologies if it's not.

Other things mentioned, however: the unnecessary harassing of OPs, pedophelia, and cases where the obs subject's health is in critical condition are certainly troubling at a more extreme level and do merit attention in my opinion.

Also, thank you Sen Beret, for clarifying the issue to say that it isn't about the specific 'sneeze smelling' subfetish, but rather the behavior of a few specific individuals.

Edited by meepsy

The reason that particular obs was so incredibly horrific was because the woman in question was in a life threatening condition (i.e. extremely vulnerable -- she could have died), and he was posting it as someone who was, at the time, in a position of incredible power over her as his job was to try and save her life.

It's not only that she was non-consenting, but he was objectifying and sexualizing a dying person whom he had power over, and then he shared it on a fetish website in an area that people visit to become aroused. That's what's especially fucked up about it.

YES!! 100x YES! I hate this. Why do people feel the need to sexualize family members especially their moms! What is that about?!

Also. People that sexualize sneezing and child related things, basically everything except children. Baby clothes, diapers, dolls, cartoons, etc. IT'S SO GROSS. WHY. Just because it's not an actual child doesn't make it better!!!

The part you mentioned about people fetishizing(is that a word?) childish, babyish things....THIS is what pisses me off horribly. I've seen someone frequently who does it, with an extremely childish video game/cartoon character. I just can't take it, and even though, NO, I don't read their posts, just knowing that someone gets off on something like that...I just....I really can't fucking wrap my head around it. And I'm so glad that someone else has FINALLY spoken up about this too, so I know I'm in fact not the only one that this disgusts. Also, yes smelling sneezes is goddamned nasty as well....what if they have breath that smells like ass or something? It also sounds EXTREMELY unhygienic to me

Edited by Valkyrie

We get it. Saliva has a unique scent. I've noticed it, but don't see what's so important about it.

"Don't like, don't read"? How about fuck you? You have every right to post something completely revolting to people, and they have a right to call you a sickening troll if the situation fits.

There, I feel better now.

Junia said in their original post that this abhorrent behavior is found in those who want to indulge

But that's what I'm saying. It seems unlikely that these people are horrible simply by virtue of liking that element of sneezing, and if we're scratching our heads saying, 'Why do all of the members of a group we openly dislike refuse to act appropriately within the community?'... Well, maybe the two things go hand in hand.

It doesn't make the shitty sharky behaviour okay, but if we're linking that behaviour to that aspect of the fetish, I think it does beg the question, "Is there another reason for this beyond 'crappy people like smelling sneezes'".

That said, however, I can imagine why repeated negative response to someone's interests might make someone think 'screw you all, I'm gonna use you for material'. I can't imagine why it would make someone post an obs like you describe. I agree that that's abhorrent.