CheekyGuy

Are there guidelines on blowing in the service industries?

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know, from anyone who has worked in public-facing service industries (as waiter, receptionist, air steward, or countless else) whether there are ever guidelines given on whether it is or is not OK to blow while on the job, where people would be able to see? 

I remember a nice occasion with a young woman on a train café who was sniffling a lot, and finally gave in - took a napkin and gave a series of explosive blows, honking on one, then quickly stopping herself....

This is a bit of a tangent, but I just wanted to add something. I see a lot of appointments with the public in my profession, and when I have one of my frequent colds, I'm usually a mess! Taking a sick day is really not an option. 

So during an appointment, I'll be examining a patient (an animal) and sniffling constantly. There have been times when I couldn't sniffle thanks to a stuffy nose, and I've had to excuse myself from the room more than once. Once I'm finished with the appointment, I head straight to the restroom, grab a wad of tissues and blow very wetly, messily, and uninhibitedly. I'd normally be a bit shy, but in these situations I just don't care. 

There has to be...because most all medical professionals that i've seen when they blow, always have that very soft quick swishy blowing style. It's been very rare that i've heard any of them give a more productive blow, not even honking. Honkers i can literally count them on one hand...4 and that was when they were already at their desks

As someone who's worked retail and is now a receptionist, I've never seen written rules dictating when/how you can blow your nose.  That said, I find it rude and disgusting when someone blows their nose in public, especially in a close-quarters area like a waiting room or a small shop.  Go to the back room or the restroom and do it.  That's how I operate.

I work at 4 bars across the metro area of my town as an entertainer. If a server has to blow her nose, she just does it by the bar stand. No rules, I don't think.'

So adorable. 

I have worked in hospo for a while and blowing your nose is generally all good as long as it's not right in front of a customer and you wash your hands afterwards