Sneeze Fetish Forum
Sophie<3

Does the mental block ever just fail you?!

Sophie<3   
Sophie<3

Hello! ^_^

So. I have a question. I know I'm not the only one on here who is pretty good at fighting off sneezes. To the point where often I have to sneeze and might actually want to, but simply can't. Because of the mental block. I also have a few strategies about how to make the need to sneeze go away, and I employ those whenever I'm around people I really don't want to see me sneeze, such as my parents. Or often my friends. Or just random people in public. One thing I tend to do is to hold my breath. Or biting my upper lip is another tactic. And there are a few others, and usually, they are very effective, and after a few seconds, the need to sneeze goes away.

However, occasionally, I have to sneeze and there is absolutely no way to stop it. It happens maybe one in fifty times or something? And it's always such a surprise for me and so weird! Because normally, I am in control and easily manage to make it go away, you know? So whenever I don't, it's actually a little scary?

And the worst thing happened the other day when I was at my parents'. They were in the other room and I suddenly had to sneeze. And at first, I thought I could make it go away, like usually, but then I realized that omg, nope, not this time, it was definitely happening and there was nothing I could do! But my parents haven't heard me sneeze in six years and I definitely didn't want them to hear me now! So I got up really quickly and rushed to the bathroom, but the sneeze was already happening, and it made the weirdest sound?? :bag: If you've ever tried to exhale during the build-up... yeah, it was kind of like that. More like a really vocal gasp? It was sooo so strange! :bag:

Right afterwards, I went into the room where my parents were and laughed and said "Oh my God, I was just walking to the other room while texting on my phone and I totally tripped and almost fell??" And they laughed and were like "Yeah, we heard you!" And I grinned and said something to the effect of "Gosh, I'm so dumb! I need to stop texting and walking! I totally almost fell flat on my face! Haha, silly me!"

Because I just really wanted to have some way to explain the sound I'd made. :lmfao: They totally bought it, but omg, it was so uncomfortable! 

So yeah, my question is, if you're really good at fighting off sneezes, do you also have those times where you are simply helpless and there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it go away? If so, do you have any stories of moments when you really didn't want to sneeze and maybe thought you could make the feeling go away, but unexpectedly, you couldn't? How did you handle the situation?

Xx, Sophie

Luisa39   
Luisa39

Sophie:  Though the whole thing must have felt embarrassing, I do admire the way you were able to "play it off" for your parents!

Like you, I have a mental block insofar as I can't seem to sneeze openly in front of anyone.  (Or, the last time I did so was in, like, 1999.)  I can sneeze in a setting where someone could potentially have heard me:  for example, I've sneezed openly in deserted streets, in basically empty parking lots, and near open windows in empty houses -- or in empty public bathrooms (this happened to me last week).  But  I simply cannot bring myself to do the same where others could see me:  in such a setting I either don't feel the urge at all or, if the sneeze was truly unavoidable (as has happened a couple of times at work), I have been able to stifle in such a way that no one knew I sneezed.  It must be a fear of having others see my pre-sneeze expression; I'm afraid my buildup will look ridiculous or go on too long.  I so wish this were not the case, as I love to bless others and would like to get a "bless you" from someone else.  So no, I'm afraid I can't recount any times when I sneezed in front of others despite not wanting to.:(

By the way, Sophie, I love your "location."  You must be a Sherlock Holmes fan!

Edited by Luisa39

Ronald Napoli   
Ronald Napoli

How many times in a row do you sneeze Sophie?

FadedRose   
FadedRose

Oh yep, I've done that. It depends who I'm around and sometimes I'll let them see me sneeze or whatever if I'm comfortable around them. But whenever I don't want to sneeze when I'm around my family or it's really quiet or something, I always push my tongue really hard against the roof of my mouth. There's like a whole bunch of nerves there (also why pushing your tongue on the roof of your mouth helps a brain freeze- it warms up the nerve) and I'd say it works 95% of the time. 

So usually I take it for granted until it doesn't work and I end up sneezing haha.

PuddinPop   
PuddinPop

Ugh, this is literally me :lol: 

My mental block is usually really good, but there are times when it just completely and utterly fails. I discovered that it happens more when I've been drinking, though that's very likely because I'm so relaxed, I've given up caring, or I just completely forget xD 

It's frustrating, for sure, and for me, it doesn't happen often, luckily.

Although, if we're telling funny, embarrassing stories, I got one...

I was at work a couple weeks ago and was in the bathroom. I heard someone else come in, and I panicked, because I felt one of those impossible-to-stop sneezes coming on. So what did I do? I tried to stifle. Can I stifle? Oh, hell no. But, I had to at least try, smothering my entire face with my sleeve, but the force of it made it sound like a fart. Like, an actual fart. While I was sitting in the cubicle of the toilet, while someone else was in the bathroom. 

Lemme tell ya, I have never washed my hands and gotten the hell out of dodge so fast in my entire life :rofl: I was seriously tempted to shout 'THAT WASN'T A FART BTW' but figured that would be even more mortifying. Luckily, whoever it was didn't see me, but I felt like I couldn't go back in there for the rest of the day, just in case xD

skatergirl   
skatergirl

I used to have such a strong mental block that I never even felt the need to sneeze whenever I was around people. So not only did I never sneeze in front of people, but I never even had the option. The only exceptions to this were when I'd been drinking, but those were rare and I could always hold back.

In the past year, however, my mental block has stopped blocking the need to sneeze in front of people. I'm hesitant to say that it has "failed me" because I've always been able to hold back, but the it requires some effort (holding my breath for a couple seconds). It's added an extra little layer of stress into my life because I only need to be on-guard :lol:

If I had to guess the reasons that this is happening, I'd say it's because I haven't been with my family very much since leaving for college, and they're the people who it's most important for me to not sneeze in front of. And if I had to sneeze in front of anyone, it would be my college friends, so maybe my brain decided that a mental block isn't needed around them. But I still do not want to sneeze in front of them, so if my mental block could come back that'd be great. A third possible reason is that I'm basically never alone anymore, so if I don't sneeze in front of people I'm almost never going to sneeze at all.

So to answer your question, my mental block specifically has stopped working. But my ability to hold back has taken over :lol: 

Sophie<3   
Sophie<3

@Luisa39 Hah, thanks! It was scary having to address the thing again, but I really wanted to offer some kind of explanation, because I really didn't like the idea of them realizing what had actually happened, you know? Like I said, they haven't heard me sneeze in six years. :bag::lol: Also, congrats on mastering the silent stifle. I can... sometimes do that? But rarely. It usually still makes some kind of a sound. And I understand you wanting to be blessed by others, so I hope that maybe eventually you'll feel more relaxed about this so that you'll be able to just sneeze in front of other, even if that means that they get to see your pre-sneeze expression. 

Aw, yes. I almost forgot about my location, but yeah. I am. ^_^

@Ronald Napoli Umm... once or twice usually? And I'm really not sure how that's relevant? :lol:

@Cutekats Oh yeah, that is definitely also something I've tried before! Holding my breath is usually the most effective thing for me, I believe. But I guess I'll try the tongue thing again if it works that well for you. ^_^

@PuddinPop Oh my God, that's hilarious! :lmfao: I mean, I'm sorry it happened, but I legit snorted with laughter reading that story! Thanks for sharing! :lol: And I feel you. I don't stifle that often, but when I do, occasionally it ends up sounding super weird. Also, I'm glad that I'm not the only person whose mental block works really well most of the time, and then out of nowhere it's like... nope, not with this one, there is no way you can fight this one off! :glare::laugh:

@skatergirl Wow, that's really interesting that you've never even felt the need to sneeze! I guess when I talked about my mental block before, what I mostly meant was that often, I feel the need to sneeze around others but even if I decide that I want to, it simply doesn't happen? A lot of the time, I don't want to, though, and actively fight it off, just like you do. And yeah, it's a little stressful. :lol: But thankfully, it works most of the time. Also, I totally get you. My parents are also literally the last people I want to sneeze in front of. And I think that's mostly due to the incredibly awkward and embarrassing time when I was 14 and playing the piano and had to sneeze and messed up playing because of it and they thought that was hysterical and blessed me and laughed and called it "cute" and I honest to god wanted to stop existing for a moment there. :bag::lmfao: And that was the last time they ever heard me sneeze. :lol:

Ronald Napoli   
Ronald Napoli

If you feel like you need to sneeze, do you go to a private room or bathroom where you can have privacy and sneeze?

Anonymouse   
Anonymouse
1 hour ago, Ronald Napoli said:

If you feel like you need to sneeze, do you go to a private room or bathroom where you can have privacy and sneeze?

This is my go-to strategy on those rare occasions when I don't trust my mental block to do its job.

Luisa39   
Luisa39
6 hours ago, AnonyMouse said:

This is my go-to strategy on those rare occasions when I don't trust my mental block to do its job.

I've done this, too -- more times than I'd like to admit, lol.

Spook   
Spook

Wow, I honestly didn't know the mental block was a thing. I know I've tried to stop myself sneezing (which I only do very occasionally anyways) when it was inconvenient (such as during an exam) but I can never seem to. So yeah, it probably always fails me, haha. 

NoV   
NoV

Pretty much never! Not sure what it is, but when I am in a situation that I would be embarrassed to sneeze I don't even have to fight them off - they just don't come in the first place. The idea that I would sneeze and not be able to control it / switch it off with a mental block absolutely terrifies me :scared:

Good fast thinking to explain your strange sounding sneeze :lol: What would you have done if they had called you out on it...? :rollhmm:

Sophie<3   
Sophie<3
On 15.3.2017 at 6:39 PM, Ronald Napoli said:

Yup, totally. If I can. If I'm in a situation I cannot get out of, I try all my other strategies to make the feeling go away. (Back when I was still living with my parents, I would sometimes go to the bathroom if I felt like I couldn't fight off the sneeze, then flush the toilet while I was sneezing to mask the sound. :lol: )

On 19.3.2017 at 10:56 PM, Sooph said:

Wow, I honestly didn't know the mental block was a thing. I know I've tried to stop myself sneezing (which I only do very occasionally anyways) when it was inconvenient (such as during an exam) but I can never seem to. So yeah, it probably always fails me, haha. 

Haha, that's too bad! But do you get really embarrassed when you sneeze in front of others? Because I am mortified of sneezing in front of my parents (and some other situations, I guess), which is probably why I've taught myself how to avoid it.

On 20.3.2017 at 9:23 PM, NoV said:

Pretty much never! Not sure what it is, but when I am in a situation that I would be embarrassed to sneeze I don't even have to fight them off - they just don't come in the first place. The idea that I would sneeze and not be able to control it / switch it off with a mental block absolutely terrifies me :scared:

Good fast thinking to explain your strange sounding sneeze :lol: What would you have done if they had called you out on it...? :rollhmm:

Oh my God, I would have been soooo embarrassed! :bag: (You know, it's possible that they knew I was lying. I don't think so. But it's possible...)

And I kind of know what you mean about them not even coming in the first place. Back when I was dating my ex (and now sort of with my new boyfriend, too) I had that problem that I never wanted to sneeze in front of others and got really good at making the feeling go away, but I wanted to sneeze in front of him. Only making the sneezes go away so often lead to it sort of happening automatically, even when I was around him and wanted to sneeze, you know? It can be hard sometimes to relax enough to let it happen, especially when you're so used to fighting the feeling.

Spook   
Spook
12 minutes ago, Sophie<3 said:

Haha, that's too bad! But do you get really embarrassed when you sneeze in front of others? Because I am mortified of sneezing in front of my parents (and some other situations, I guess), which is probably why I've taught myself how to avoid it.

Not really tbh, I can't remember an instance in which I've been particularly embarrassed of it. Maybe when standing in queue for a checkout or in a full lift or something, but still not especially. I didn't know it was common to be embarrassed of it either, but that probably just goes to show how much of a newbie I am. 

Thinking of it, I do sometimes get embarrassed if other people sneeze, especially when they go on to talk about it. 

Ronald Napoli   
Ronald Napoli

Are you allergic to anything?

beatlelover22   
beatlelover22
On 3/12/2017 at 3:38 PM, Sophie<3 said:

Hello! ^_^

So. I have a question. I know I'm not the only one on here who is pretty good at fighting off sneezes. To the point where often I have to sneeze and might actually want to, but simply can't. Because of the mental block. I also have a few strategies about how to make the need to sneeze go away, and I employ those whenever I'm around people I really don't want to see me sneeze, such as my parents. Or often my friends. Or just random people in public. One thing I tend to do is to hold my breath. Or biting my upper lip is another tactic. And there are a few others, and usually, they are very effective, and after a few seconds, the need to sneeze goes away.

However, occasionally, I have to sneeze and there is absolutely no way to stop it. It happens maybe one in fifty times or something? And it's always such a surprise for me and so weird! Because normally, I am in control and easily manage to make it go away, you know? So whenever I don't, it's actually a little scary?

And the worst thing happened the other day when I was at my parents'. They were in the other room and I suddenly had to sneeze. And at first, I thought I could make it go away, like usually, but then I realized that omg, nope, not this time, it was definitely happening and there was nothing I could do! But my parents haven't heard me sneeze in six years and I definitely didn't want them to hear me now! So I got up really quickly and rushed to the bathroom, but the sneeze was already happening, and it made the weirdest sound?? :bag: If you've ever tried to exhale during the build-up... yeah, it was kind of like that. More like a really vocal gasp? It was sooo so strange! :bag:

Right afterwards, I went into the room where my parents were and laughed and said "Oh my God, I was just walking to the other room while texting on my phone and I totally tripped and almost fell??" And they laughed and were like "Yeah, we heard you!" And I grinned and said something to the effect of "Gosh, I'm so dumb! I need to stop texting and walking! I totally almost fell flat on my face! Haha, silly me!"

Because I just really wanted to have some way to explain the sound I'd made. :lmfao: They totally bought it, but omg, it was so uncomfortable! 

So yeah, my question is, if you're really good at fighting off sneezes, do you also have those times where you are simply helpless and there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it go away? If so, do you have any stories of moments when you really didn't want to sneeze and maybe thought you could make the feeling go away, but unexpectedly, you couldn't? How did you handle the situation?

Xx, Sophie

This is actually so funny!! I have no idea if I have allergies or not (I know, it should be pretty often, but I'm slightly congested and my eyes are itchy but the sneezing is maybe two or three times a day? It's a lot for me okay lol) but THIS has happened to me, yesterday actually.

The first time I was in the science library (which is completely silent) and I was with a guy friend. I suddenly had the strongest urge to sneeze so I gasped and my friend was like, "Oh my god, look over there!" and the sneeze completely went away :lmfao: Very awkward lol.

But the second time, I was eating lunch with a few friends and they were like, "Oh yeah, tell us how that class has been going!" and I started explaining, but then I had to sneeze, so I sort of rubbed my nose and to my HORROR did those stupid false starts/pre-sneeze faces BECAUSE I COULDN'T MAKE IT STOP. Finally I sneezed but aughhhh, so embarrassing. I could've died. 

Luisa39   
Luisa39
9 hours ago, beatlelover22 said:

This is actually so funny!! I have no idea if I have allergies or not (I know, it should be pretty often, but I'm slightly congested and my eyes are itchy but the sneezing is maybe two or three times a day? It's a lot for me okay lol) but THIS has happened to me, yesterday actually.

The first time I was in the science library (which is completely silent) and I was with a guy friend. I suddenly had the strongest urge to sneeze so I gasped and my friend was like, "Oh my god, look over there!" and the sneeze completely went away :lmfao: Very awkward lol.

But the second time, I was eating lunch with a few friends and they were like, "Oh yeah, tell us how that class has been going!" and I started explaining, but then I had to sneeze, so I sort of rubbed my nose and to my HORROR did those stupid false starts/pre-sneeze faces BECAUSE I COULDN'T MAKE IT STOP. Finally I sneezed but aughhhh, so embarrassing. I could've died. 

Oh, no!...Well, at least you got that sneeze out.  Bless you! 

Edited by Luisa39

Sophie<3   
Sophie<3

Oh my God, you guys, I have such relevant news on this topic! I thought about starting a whole new thread for it, but I think a post on here might be better. It's like an update, I guess. :lol: 

I'm on a surfing trip right now and living in a camp with lots of people I've just met. The girls in my room are really nice, though. 

Of course, I caught a cold on, like, the second day. :glare: (I forgot my sweatshirt and got really cold after our surf session ...) And I've been really sneezy and it's been the kind you cannot fight off. *And* I am around people 24/7. Long story short, I've sneezed in front of people six times already! One time even in front of the entire group during our warm-up on the beach...! :bag: I didn't stifle, either, because I just kind of wanted to get it out? It was a pretty vocal "Hit'choo!", I guess... :bag::blush: 

I was blessed every single time. And I'm kind of embarrassed, but I didn't really have much of a choice. And I feel like it's helping me overcome the mortification of sneezing in front of others! ^_^ 

Edited by Sophie<3

CheekyGuy   
CheekyGuy

My sneezes always tend to be quite violent (through no choice) and attract some attention for that reason! Having just been through a bug, they (and lots of regular nose-blowing, turning more rich and gooey in the last day) have been quite frequent....

SneezyGeek   
SneezyGeek

I have a HUGE mental block, especially since I have very strong sneezes. If I have one of those sneezes that I can't stop then I'll usually try to stifle. There was this one time where I couldn't stifle and let it out full force and so many people commented on how loud it was. I got a few bless you'd but it was still so embarrassing :nosad:

Geist   
Geist

I have an incredible mental block, but like Sophie, mine sometimes fails.  One example that comes to mind was when I had a very rare cold (I never catch them) and I was outside about to get in my car.  My neighbor stopped me and started talking to me and holy shit, I felt it coming.  It was coming so fast and with such intensity, I knew I couldn't stop it.  Not to mention, the sun was shining right in my face and I'm semi-photic, so I turned away from my neighbor and just gave up.  I didn't think she'd say anything, but ugh, she gasped and said The Words™ to me all incredulously and I wanted to fucking die, okay. 

I muttered, "I have to go. I'm really late," and just shut myself in the car and backed out super fast.  She was standing in our shared driveway, just staring.  JFC, the horror. 

Luisa39   
Luisa39
3 hours ago, Sophie<3 said:

Oh my God, you guys, I have such relevant news on this topic! I thought about starting a whole new thread for it, but I think a post on here might be better. It's like an update, I guess. :lol: 

I'm on a surfing trip right now and living in a camp with lots of people I've just met. The girls in my room are really nice, though. 

Of course, I caught a cold on, like, the second day. :glare: (I forgot my sweatshirt and got really cold after our surf session ...) And I've been really sneezy and it's been the kind you cannot fight off. *And* I am around people 24/7. Long story short, I've sneezed in front of people six times already! One time even in front of the entire group during our warm-up on the beach...! :bag: I didn't stifle, either, because I just kind of wanted to get it out? It was a pretty vocal "Hit'choo!", I guess... :bag::blush: 

I was blessed every single time. And I'm kind of embarrassed, but I didn't really have much of a choice. And I feel like it's helping me overcome the mortification of sneezing in front of others! ^_^ 

Bless you, Sophie.:)

Believe me, I sympathize.  But just think:  you're getting those sneezes out, and you're breaking down that mental barrier!

I hope you're over your cold soon.

Chanel_no5   
Chanel_no5

@Sophie<3, I missed this thread the first time around, so I thought I'd answer it now; my mental block is amazing, but it did fail me once. I had the worst, sneeziest cold in my entire life, I was sneezing about 6-8 times an hour for almost two days straight, and I had several fits as well. So my poor nose was pretty sore, and when I had to go and get some food at the grocery store I thought I'd be able to trust my mental block for those ten minutes, but the need to sneeze was too strong for it. I did manage to only sneeze once, and stifle it almost completely soundlessly, so I don't think anyone even noticed, but I was horrified. How could it fail me like that?! :laugh: 

It hasn't happened again, thankfully, but before it did, I used to be so smug, thinking my mental block was foolproof. Apparently not for this fool.  ^_^  

I salute you for making progress in getting over it, although it wasn't voluntary, though. :) 

51 minutes ago, Ronald Napoli said:

Has the number of times in a row that you sneeze changed as you have gotten older?

Are you aware that this has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic sophie<3 started, and what you're doing now is sharking? Because if you aren't, consider this your enlightenment. Sharking is bad, rude and unpleasant for those targeted. Stop.

Edited by Chanel_no5

Sophie<3   
Sophie<3
1 hour ago, Chanel_no5 said:

@Sophie<3, I missed this thread the first time around, so I thought I'd answer it now; my mental block is amazing, but it did fail me once. I had the worst, sneeziest cold in my entire life, I was sneezing about 6-8 times an hour for almost two days straight, and I had several fits as well. So my poor nose was pretty sore, and when I had to go and get some food at the grocery store I thought I'd be able to trust my mental block for those ten minutes, but the need to sneeze was too strong for it. I did manage to only sneeze once, and stifle it almost completely soundlessly, so I don't think anyone even noticed, but I was horrified. How could it fail me like that?! :laugh: 

It hasn't happened again, thankfully, but before it did, I used to be so smug, thinking my mental block was foolproof. Apparently not for this fool.  ^_^  

I salute you for making progress in getting over it, although it wasn't voluntary, though. :) 

Oh my God, that sounds horrible!! I would have been mortified, too... :consoling: At least it was random strangers though, right? That's usually less uncomfortable than sneezing in front of people you know, at least for me. But yeah, thanks for sharing! Like I said, I used to really trust mine, too. But I guess... there are always exceptions. :sweatdrop::bag:

1 hour ago, Chanel_no5 said:
2 hours ago, Ronald Napoli said:

Has the number of times in a row that you sneeze changed as you have gotten older?

Are you aware that this has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic sophie<3 started, and what you're doing now is sharking? Because if you aren't, consider this your enlightenment. Sharking is bad, rude and unpleasant for those targeted. Stop.

Thank you so much, Chanel! :hug: And yes, @Ronald Napoli, I am definitely not going to answer any more weirdly specific, personal questions like that. So just stop?

Melody   
Melody

^^ ugh that is really creepy I hope he doesn't get validated. 

Anyway- I really enjoyed reading everyone's stories. I feel like only people with a mental block will understand the struggle. :lol: I think the only way to get over a mental block is to be stuck in a situation where your literally never alone like being with roommates or at a camp or something like Sophie and Skatergirl. I've had a very strong mental block all my life and the only time it ever failed was when I had the flu and I decided to go to a speaking engagement I had that day, cuz like, what could possibly go wrong? I think I posted this incident in a fever thread lol so many bad things happened that day. But anyway aside from almost fainting when I was on stage I was sitting down a few minutes later like talking to these students, and the urge to sneeze was so strong and I was just so confused and groggy that I just did it lol. I mean luckily, I was alone with a bunch of kids which makes it less mortifying? But thank god it didn't happen when I was actually speaking in front of a huge audience that would've been terrible. It was my first speaking event too I was so traumatized :lol: anyway due to the nature of my work, I'm in front of large audiences at least once a week so I'm terrified of getting that sick again or my mental block failing lol. 

Edited by Melody